Monday, December 4, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 4

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Judy Collins - Wildflowers LP $2. 
There are few artists more "bargain binny" than Judy Collins. Go to any bargain bin anywhere, there will be at least one Judy Collins LP taking up residence. I guarantee it. I had ignored her records for years because I forgot the cardinal rule of record buying: price ≠ quality. I finally took a chance on Wildflowers at my local shop because it had a Leonard Cohen song that he'd never recorded (along with a couple other Lenny cuts). Turns out Wildflowers is chock full of cool stuff, obviously the version of Joni's "Both Sides Now" is legendary (so I legendary that I had totally forgotten about it!) but Judy's own "Albatross" is a brilliant piece of pre-Kate Bush baroque pop. Two dollars very well spent.

No comments: