Sunday, December 3, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 3

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine CD $2. 
Growing up, I'd always written off NIN as 90s mall-goth bullshit but I keep hearing year after year that they're amazing. Well, general population of people who say things about music on the internet and on podcasts, you've won. I finally gave Pretty Hate Machine an earnest listen after acquiring this CD and I dig it. I was surprised at how catchy this is, basically a meaner, hard edged Depeche Mode. Not fully committing to an NIN journey yet (I don't know how many more albums of Trent's lyrics I can handle) but this is a cool record, and one of the most successful independent releases of all time which I hadn't realized. 

No comments: