Wednesday, December 13, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 13

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Black Sites - Prototype EP 12" $3. 
I compare my relationship to techno to my relationship with peaches. I enjoy both but don't have an appetite to constantly consume either. If I have one great peach from a farmers market that will probably satiate me until next year. Kinda the same with techno and this year's farmers market peach was this 12" by Black Sites which I bought knowing nothing about other it was on the PAN label (home to great avant-garde releases from Eli Keszler, John Wiese & Evan Parker, Ben Vida etc.). I pretty much buy a PAN record any time I come across one and they rarely disappoint. I'm too ignorant to know if this is "avant-garde techno" or "regular techno" nowadays but it bangs hard. I lean a little toward the former because there is some interesting stuff with combative time signatures and some noisy timbres, but maybe all techno does that now?

A playlist of tunes from each of the records I wrote about, I'll add a new song each day:

No comments: