Sunday, December 10, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 10

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Duran Duran - Rio LP $4. 
Not sure what exactly prompted me to buy this, other than wanting to support my local record store by cleaning out its bargain bin. I never particularly liked the singles (well "Save a Prayer" is fun and has one of the dumbest/funniest music videos of all time) but I grabbed it anyway. After many listens, I'm still not a great fan of Le Bon's vocal style (which I now realize is what has kept me at arm's length) but it's a actually cool record otherwise, brimming with energy and great synth sounds. Plus, the finale "The Chauffeur" is legit and totally worth the price of admission. Like a John Foxx track snuck onto a hit commercial pop record.

A playlist of tunes from each of the records I wrote about, I'll add a new song each day:

No comments: