Tuesday, December 19, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 19

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Camper Van Beethoven - Key Lime Pie CD $1.50. 
Just a drop dead beauty of a record through and through. Always wrote these guys off because of the dumb name and they weren't punk enough when I checked them out as a teen. My write off became regret in 2023. One more data point that a rock band with a violin player is the sound of the angels. CVB manages a magic trick few bands pull off which is synthesizing a grab bag of genres (reggae, klezmer, whathaveyou) into a coherent whole rather than attention-seeking pastiche. Even the instrumental tracks, that usually bloated albums and bored listeners in this era, are sweet. Truly dripping with classics but "When I Win the Lottery" is best, hope I can karaoke it one day.

A playlist of tunes from each of the records I wrote about, I'll add a new song each day:

No comments: