Friday, December 1, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 1

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.
 
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death LP $3. 
I probably first learned about Alice Cooper from watching Wayne's World as a little kid (wonderful performance by the way, I learned so much about Milwaukee). I didn't realize for a long time that Alice Cooper was a person but also a band, a band that Alice Cooper was in and then left. (My head is still spinning.) And, also, that not all of their songs are about Frankenstein, though Love it to Death does have "The Ballad of Dwight Frye" which is pretty fuckin' close. This is one of the earlier records by Alice Cooper (the band) after they'd blown town. The sandy Southwest was just not ready for these boys from Phoenix. Thankfully, Detroit welcomed them with open arms. The Coops definitely contracted some blood diseases from the Stooges and MC5 via bar brawls or blood oaths which mutated with their uncontrollable power pop urges. You could build a car listening to nothing but "Caught in a Dream".

No comments: