Thursday, December 14, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 14

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul LP $3. 
The iconic and ridiculously christened Hot Buttered Soul is a record I've read about for so long but never actually listened to. When a beat-to-hell copy showed up in the bargain bin at my local shop I knew it was time to change that. The hype is real. It indeed kicks ass. Orchestral psych-soul epics. The source of countless hip hop samples (including on a couple of MF Doom tracks) and the forefather of trip hop (heavy Portishead fumes on "Walk on By"). Towers over the other Isaac Hayes records I have, his debut, which is fine but not too exciting (even Ike thinks so), and the Shaft 2xLP which actually is cool just not as cool as Hot Buttered Soul. I've heard Black Moses is similarly riveting so that's my next Hayes target.

A playlist of tunes from each of the records I wrote about, I'll add a new song each day:

No comments: