Monday, December 18, 2023

The 25 Bargain Buys of Xmas: Day 18

Much of my calendar year, every year, is spent sifting through record store bargain bins, estate sales, etc. and digging into the acquisitions. I win some and lose some, but I never write about it on AuxOut even though it accounts for a huge portion of my listening and discovery. In honor of the season of presents, I am celebrating some of the gifts bestowed upon me by the record gods during 2023.

Tim Hardin - Tim Hardin 1 LP $3. 
Sneakily one of my most listened to the records of the year. Have played it regularly since getting it. Interesting blend of folk, blues and soul. Gentle enough to drop the needle immediately upon waking. "Reason to Believe" is an all-timer. Supposedly, the string arrangements were added without Hardin's knowledge which lead him to break down into tears. I feel bad for Timmy, things seem tough enough based on all the sad-eyed songs littering the record, but I actually love the strings and vibraphone and all the stuff artist-hating producers dubbed onto records in the 60s. Also the record, runs through 12 songs in 27 minutes. Peak album efficiency, anywhere except the hardcore arena, in which case it would be four times too long.

A playlist of tunes from each of the records I wrote about, I'll add a new song each day:

No comments: